Capacity: 52 000
Further Information: On 9 July 1867, "a group of gentlemen met for the purpose of starting a football team". The Queenâ€™s Park Football Club was born. It soon became a leading exponent of the game and was one of the founder members of the (English) Football Association as well as its Scottish counterpart. It regularly provided the Scottish players in the earliest international matches. Proud of its amateur status, and showing a confidence in the gameâ€™s future, the Clubâ€™s general committee in 1903 purchased 33 acres of land on the south side of Glasgow and built the largest and most technically advanced stadium in the world, Hampden Park.
It was immediately adopted as Scotlandâ€™s National Stadium and became a Mecca for clubs and international players everywhere. Its natural bowl shape and extensive terraces sustained attendances of around 150,000.
Whilst fulfilling its role as the National Stadium, Hampden has remained the home of Queenâ€™s Park who, despite the amateur status, play in the senior, national, leagues.
In the mid-1970s, however, it became clear that Hampden required major rebuilding and refurbishment. At that time, only the main South Stand was covered and seated. Elsewhere, spectators stood exposed to the vagaries of the Scottish weather. Concourses, washrooms, kiosks, medical services, media facilities, playersâ€™ changing rooms, hospitality areas and emergency service provision reflected the Stadiumâ€™s past, not the status it still claimed as a leading international venue.
In later years, the disasters at football stadia at Heysel, Sheffield and Bradford highlighted the deficiencies and brought change through a pincer movement of directives from footballâ€™s World and European governing bodies and from national governments. Stadia had to be upgraded to provide safe and comfortable accommodation.
The task of rebuilding Hampden began in 1990 with the formation of the National Stadium Committee, formed with representatives of the Club (Queenâ€™s Park) and the Scottish football authorities.
The National Stadium Committee set about its task. It drew together ÂŁ12 million of funding to upgrade the North and East Stands, carry out external landscaping, improve car parking provision and provide hospitality lounges. These elements of work were completed in February 1994 and the Stadium hosted a full international match.
The next phase was the rebuilding of the South Stand and the redevelopment of the West Stand. This was completed in May 1999 at a cost of ÂŁ59 million.
Queenâ€™s Park, who still own the Stadium, are the only Amateur Club playing in the Scottish Football League and are currently in Division 3.
The Stadium was leased to the Scottish Football Association and has been operated by Hampden Park Limited since April 2000. It is an initial 20-year lease with a further 20-year option.
In addition to football matches, the Stadium hosts a series of events including concerts, American Football and large outdoor meetings.
The Lounges in the South Stand offer a wide range of facilities for conferences, exhibitions, meetings, receptions, dinners and lunches.
The Stadium is graded as a Five Star stadium by UEFA.
Hampden Park is a stadium to be proud of - it provides a home for the Scotland team, a neutral venue for semi-finals and finals, and a first-class facility for a wide range of events.